What does it mean when a planet is retrograde? EarthSky.Org has a great graphic and explanation of this ‘illusion’ of planets traveling backwards. Astrologers over the ages, through observation and correlation, noticed these cycles do have influence and meaning in longer planetary cycles or birth charts.
How can this help you in your life?
The house in which a retrograde planet travels shows what area of life may be useful to reflect on.
When the actual change in direction happens (either Direct or Retrograde) and is close to a planet or angle (IC, MC, ASC, DESC) in the birth chart, there is added emphasis and meaning, especially if the planet or angle is part of a longer cycle with the transiting and retrograding planet.
When a planet comes close to conjoining an important point in a chart, then turns retrograde, prior to becoming an exact conjunction, there can be a sense of frustration. The New Phase of the planetary energy is not quite ripe for an initiation.
I like to write down the retrograde and direct dates in my calendar, if they impact my birth chart. This is a way to learn astrology through personal experience.
When and how long are Retrogrades?
- Mercury. 3 – 4 times a year for a three week period.
- Venus. Every 19.2 months for 41 days.
- Mars. Every 25.6 months for 72 days.
- Jupiter. Every 13.1 months for 121 days.
- Saturn. Every 12.4 months for 138 days.
- Uranus. Every 12.15 months for 151 days.
- Neptune. Every 12.07 months for 158 days.
- Pluto. Interesting facts about Pluto. No retrograde information yet.
More on articles on Retrogrades
Share, please and thank you.